World’s Poultry Science Association UK Branch (WPSA UK) Data Protection Policy
This policy is borne out of a Data Protection Impact Assessment of the WPSA UK branch activities and aims to transparently explain branch procedures relating to the personal information we collect.
Purpose for holding personal information
Personal data is gained from two sources:
- Members providing their details in order for us to service their membership;
- Event attendees providing their details in order to attend a branch event.
No personal data is retained when browsing our website. Please note if you contact us via our form to ask a question or submit an Abstract, you are agreeing to us recording your computer’s IP address, your email details, and a copy of your query, so that we may reply.
WPSA UK does not capture or store personal information beyond that required for completing event bookings or membership subscriptions. Other than the descriptions above, personal details are not maintained by the branch for any other purpose nor passed onto any other parties.
WPSA UK Branch Membership includes the following services:
- Information on WPSA events
- Three to four newsletters per year covering WPSA opportunities and activities
- Reduced rates for attending WPSA events
- Free access to the World’s Poultry Science Journal
- Access to WPSA scholarships, bursaries and awards
All WPSA UK members and event attendees may request to have their details removed and destroyed, their details removed from our mailing list or to review personal details held by WPSA UK.
If you would like to revise the personal information that WPSA UK Branch may have about you, please use our Contact form.
Protection of personal data
Members’ personal details held by WPSA UK are maintained on an electronic spreadsheet that is pass word protected and held by the Secretary and Treasurer on pass word protected computers. Details are only passed onto third parties directly involved via written contract in conducting WPSA UK business such WPSA global headquarter who require details to provide members with the WPS Journal, and the bank supporting our financial transactions. Members’ personal details will be destroyed 12 months after receiving a member request to terminate membership, or 24 months after a member ceases to pay membership fees.
Event attendees personal details held by WPSA UK are maintained on an electronic spreadsheet that is pass word protected and held by the Chair of the event organising committee, Secretary and treasurer on pass word protected computers. Details are only passed onto third parties directly involved via written contract in conducting WPSA UK business such a conference organising company, and the bank supporting our financial transactions. Event attendee details will be destroyed when all services associated with payment to attend the event are completed or 24 months after the event (whichever is later) unless attendees request to be informed of future events. If attendees request to be informed of future events, their details will be maintained by WPSA UK until a request is received to be removed from the list.
WPSA UK is committed to ensuring its records are correct and aims to amend any errors or action any requests with 28 days of notification.
References to destruction of personal data by WPSA UK means shredding of paper records or deletion of all forms of electronic record.
Processing of data as defined by the UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Act 2018 is not undertaken by WPSA UK, nor is any other form of automated decision making
WPSA UK Code of Conduct for ensuring data protection
- Anyone involved in WPSA UK activities who may have access to personal data will be informed of the requirements of the GDPR and how the WPSA conducts our activities to meet these requirements.
- Lists of personal details are maintained only by the Treasurer and Secretary.
- Lists of personal details are reviewed annually by the Secretary and Treasurer to ensure details not held within our described legitimate purpose are destroyed.
- Any requests to correct, update, remove or access personal data must immediately be passed onto the Treasurer and Secretary and actioned within 28 days.
- List of personal data must be secured through pass word protection systems or physical security of paper copies.
- Group communications such as newsletters will be conducted in a manner that protects the privacy of individuals, such as using the Blind Copy function of email.
- As the WPSA UK Data Protection Lead, the President will carry out an annual audit to monitor WPSA UK compliance with data protection policies and review the effectiveness of our data protection procedures and technologies.